Thursday, May 17, 2012

STUDENT REFLECTIONS ON GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP STUDY

REFLECTING ON THE YEAR

We are making an exception and allowing a teacher post on our student blog, but only to share students' words about what they have learned and how they have changed as a result of the year's study. 

These are just a few excerpts from our final reflection on being a global citizen. Each student wrote a page on it and they were all so amazing:

 To be a responsible global citizen you can’t assume what other people around the world are like and you can’t make stereotypes about their life.  You can’t block out poverty when you are a global citizen, you have to see the big picture and want to help people in need.  To make the world a better place we have to want to help the people in need and we have to dig deep into the lives of these people in poverty and not make assumptions.  We have to understand what these people are going through.  Anna


I think being a responsible global citizen means to use what you have, maybe money or a gift or talent, and use it for good.  I think it means taking those things and helping others with it.  Tess

The thing about Kiva was as we learned others benefitted from us getting smarter.  Amazing, right?  We learned about loaning and fundraising and the people on Kiva helped us with our learning and we helped them with their lives....   Max B


I think about my life a lot different after participating in Kiva.  I think about how lucky I am to have all the necessary items to survive like food and water.  …. Henry

My participation in Kiva changed the way I think about my life because now I know that many people don’t have what I have and don’t have the resources that people in America have.  And that I should be grateful for what I have….to be a responsible global citizen means to not waste your life on drugs or alcohol ….. Elizabeth

Since Kiva is so amazing I plan on using it forever and on.  If I can help people from just a click on a computer than I will.  It is not like I lost that money forever.  Kiva works on and on and once you put out a loan you don’t want to stop…. Kiva will never stop working…  Julianna



Being a responsible global citizen means to be just, fair and generous. It also means to be nicer to the environment to make the world a better place. Max P


I saw how much people were in need of something that they couldn’t get and that there are some of those people a few miles away from here that are poor and in need of a loan. Also that there are people that don’t even have good drinking water and I used to think that drinking water was easy to get and that everyone had it. George


In the beginning of the year I just thought that it was hard to get water in places like Africa, but now I know it isn’t just hard it is dangerous because the water is sometimes infected because someone used it as a bathroom. Harrison


The whole class benefitted form the study because not they also know that other people don’t get the chances that they have. “Talent is universal. Opportunity is not.”  Amelia
  

No comments:

Post a Comment