Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Where Children Sleep



In our class we’ve been comparing how different parts of the world live. We’ve looked at what possessions people have and looked at what people eat in a week. Now, we are looking at how children around the world sleep. First, we made a list of ten or more things a stranger would see if they walked into our bedrooms and saw all of our stuff. Then, we saw pictures of children around the world from a book by James Mollison's called Where Children Sleep with pictures of bedrooms. It was sad to see how some of the kids only had one room houses, or lived outside. There was one kid in Rome who slept on a mattress outside. I couldn’t imagine sleeping outside. There were only three kids that I was able to relate to. I was shocked to find that out.



Posted by Max P.

4 comments:

  1. i'm really lucky to have a home

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was great, max. it's easy to forget just how fortunate we are as a family, and as a community at MCDS in general. i wish every child could have the type of school and home experience that you have. we should all strive to create a more just, fair, and compassionate world. making ourselves aware of how others live is a wonderful first step on that path.

    - dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max, I enjoyed your post! I am a music teacher at an elementary school in Texas and some of my students have been homeless at times in their lives. We forget just how fortunate we are in America. We have nice homes and good food and there are many government programs and charities who help people in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyday I hug my family and tell them how much I love them! I feel very fortunate.
    Mr. Flinn
    Kindergarten Teacher
    Ohio

    ReplyDelete